It's been a tumultuous time for DC fans recently. We've seen some beloved shows and films get canceled. The most high profile of these projects was undoubtedly Batgirl. That cancellation was met with widespread outrage and broken hearts, including from the people who worked on the film. With Batgirl canceled all eyes turned towards Blue Beetle, which was expected to meet a similar fate. It looks like we have nothing to worry about where Blue Beetle is concerned, it seems. Angel Manuel Sato, Blue Beetle director, says we have nothing to worry about!
It was in an interview with NPR that the director shared what he had to say about a potential cancellation. According to him, Blue Beetle has the studio's full support.
"I'm not going to lie. There was concern, anger, fear at first. They told me not to worry, the film has their full support." he told the outlet.
We know almost nothing about what to expect from Blue Beetle. We've seen some art, but unless I'm mistaken that's pretty much all we've seen which is disappointing. No doubt as the film's release approaches we'll learn more. The film was originally expected to debut on HBO Max but will not receive a theatrical release instead.
The star of the film, Xolo Maridueña, has high hopes for this role and believes his time on Cobra Kai was good in terms of preparing him for what to expect.
"This is really gonna be a stepping stone in my life. I've gotten the chance to build chemistry with these people over the years on Cobra Kai. To try to recreate that chemistry in a much shorter amount of time is gonna be difficult, but all of these guys are professionals. I know that I'm in the hands of people who are the best at what they do. The opportunity at Cobra Kai has really blessed me; I can do stunts, we can do crazy stuff. Adding this new level of green screen and suits and CGI and all of this will add a whole new crazy level to it that I'm so excited for." he told Variety previously.
Blue Beetle should be released on August 18, 2023.